Jerudong Park Medical Centre (JPMC) is a private specialist hospital in Brunei Darussalam. It is situated in the scenic Jerudong Park area, located along the shores of the South China Sea. JPMC offers a spectrum of services catering to your family and organizational needs which includes general, specialised and surgical healthcare services. These services are provided by our highly qualified and committed multi disciplinary medical team utilizing state-of-the-art technology.
JPMC is surrounded by the tranquillity of nature, offerring an ideal ambience for healing and wellness to the whole family. With patient rooms overlooking the expanse of the beautiful beach, you will enjoy a sense of serenity and privacy and the soothing cadence of the waves.
At JPMC, we take pride in looking after your health and your well being. We believe in providing quality healthcare services to all our patients..
- Vision & Mission
- Ethics Charter
- Patient Charter
- Board of Directors
- Our Staff
- How To Apply
- Code of Conduct
- House Rules and Conditions of Work
A team of dedicated and passionate medical and administrative workforce from different parts of the world, each bringing their own specialities from different mediums, but with one focus to provide Excellence in Healthcare and to serve the needs of the community in Brunei and beyond
OVERVIEW AND INTRODUCTION
Code of Ethical Conduct
The code of Ethical Conduct is a tool to help create and maintain a culture of which integrity is a set of rules that clearly and concisely outline the types of behaviors that are expected in the workplace. It is crucial to have in creating a safe, secure and healthy work environment in which people are respected and valued as equal team members in the delivery of care.
To whom does the Code of Ethical Conduct apply?
The code of Ethical Conduct applies to all Board members and employees of Jerudong Park Medical Centre (JPMC), including medical/professional staff, contract staff, students and other employees. Without exception, this Code applies equally to everyone at all levels in the organization.
Three reporting options are available:
OPTION 1: DIRECT COMMUNICATION
When you encounter an incident where a member of JPMC is not adhering to the Code of Ethical Conduct, you are encouraged to speak directly,respectfully and privately to that person.You are to advise that person that his/her behaviour is inappropriate and unwelcome.
OPTION 2 : SEEK ASSISTANCE
If you do not feel comfortable speaking with the person directly or if you are unable to resolve the issue and/or behaviour persists,you have the option to work together with your Supervisor/Manager/Director to prepare a report that documents the following information:
- The date and time of the questionable action
- The name of any other persons involved in or who witnessed the action
- The circumstances that precipitated the situation
- A description of the questionable action
- The consequence, if any, of the action as it relates to patient care, staff or the hospital’s operations
- Any action taken including the date, time, location, action and name(s) of those intervening
Your Supervisor/Manager/Director consult with designated subject matter expert such as Human Resources, to conduct an investigation that involves all appropriate parties.
OPTION 3: CONFIDENTIAL AND ANONYMOUS REPORTING
All individuals subject to this policy are able to anonymously and confidentially submit reports concerning incidents of suspected wrongdoing or unethical activities, which will be protected from retribution
OPTION 4: REPORTING DIRECTLY TO JCI
All individuals subject to this policy are able to submit reports concerning incidents of suspected wrongdoing or unethical activities to Joint Commission International.
LIVING BY OUR VALUES
Jerudong Park Medical Centre (JPMC) is a private specialist hospital offering a spectrum of services catering to your family and organizational needs which includes general, specialized and surgical healthcare services. These services are provided by our highly qualified and committed multi-disciplinary medical team utilizing state-of-the-art technology.
At JPMC, we take pride in looking after your health and your well being. We believe in providing quality healthcare services to all our patients.
- To lead in excellent quality and compassionate care
- Excellent Healthcare For You
- Excellence in health care
- Compassionate towards our patients and family
- Ethical practices
- Leadership in practice
Respect, Rights and Responsibility
JPMC is committed to fostering a healthy and positive environment that respects the personal worth, dignity and diversity of each member of the hospital community.
All Individuals Subject to this Policy: Rights and Responsibilities
Every person subject to this policy deserves to be treated fairly and equitably.
You have the right to:
- Work in a respectful environment
- Be free from discrimination and harassment
- Be assigned duties, privileges and promotions based on your job description, experience and performance; not on your membership in a specific group
- Lodge complaints without fear or reprisal
You have the responsibility to:
- Treat everyone in the hospital community with respect
- Provide the same good quality of care and treatment to all patients
- Report to a Supervisor/ Manager/ Director or to the Human Resource Officer any discriminatory or harassing conduct in the Hospital community that you become aware of or witness
- Fully and truthfully cooperate with investigations under the Policy.
Patient and Family: Rights and Responsibilities
It is expected that all individuals subject to this policy respect and honour the rights and responsibilities of patients. Patient rights and responsibilities are posted throughout the hospital in all public and patient care areas.
Patients and Families have the right to:
- Be treated with dignity and respect by everyone in the hospital
- Be free from discrimination and harassment
- Receive, appropriate, accessible and equitable care
- Lodge complaints without fear or reprisal.
Patients and Families have the responsibility to:
- Treat everyone in the hospital community, including staff, volunteers and other patients with respect
- Special consideration will be taken when a patient is cognitively impaired.
Quality of Care and Services
In undertaking our mission we at JPMC seek to create a culture within the organization:
- A recognition that the provision of high quality patient care is our ultimate goal;
- A focus on safety, improvement and service culture;
- The continuous review and improvement of processes and structures within the organization to enhance the quality, safety and consistency of our services and the efficiency with which they are delivered;
- A supportive and safe for all in which staff can work in; and
We desire to be a learning organization well able to meet the challenge of change and to achieve world best practice.
Compliance with Laws, Regulations and Policies
We are committed to high standards and professional ethics and integrity when providing patient care and conducting business while following applicable laws, regulations and policies.
Inappropriate behaviour is conducting oneself in a way that is undesirable, unsuitable, improper or incorrect . It is the hospital’s exclusive right and function to manage the hospital and direct the workforce so as to maintain order, discipline and efficiency within the organization. It is also the Hospital’s function to establish and enforce rules and regulations to be observed in order that it’s obligations to its patients and the community are carried out.
Examples of inappropriate behaviour or conduct include:
- Comments that are insulting, hurtful, disrespectful or rude.
- Threatening or abusive language directed at an individual
- Degrading or demanding comments
- Profanity or similar offensive language
- Physical behaviour with another individual that is perceived as threatening, intimidating or unwelcome
- Discussing workplace conduct, concerns and conflicts in front of others
- Passive- aggressive behaviour – describes behaviour that is passive in expression but is aggressive or malicious in intent and may include non-verbal behavior or body language that is irritating or offensive.
Responsibilities of Employees
All employees are expected to follow all laws, regulations and policies. Anyone who suspects or knows about a violation must report this information in the knowledge that they will not be penalized.
Responsibilities of Supervisors and Managers
Supervisors and managers must demonstrate and promote a commitment to ethical and legal behaviour that is consistent with JPMC values. As a leader you have the obligation to ensure that employees under your supervision.
- Know about and follow all laws, regulations and policies within the scope of their responsibilities
- Know the procedure for reporting suspected or actual violations
- Encourage others to ask questions and to report actual or suspected violations.
We recognize that our employees are our most valuable assets and we strive to make JPMC the preferred place to work. We are committed to creating a workplace where employees are treated with respect and fairness, and valued for their different backgrounds, perspectives, and live experiences. We want our staff to be empowered to provide their care and attention to quality services. Everything we do, from the way we treat each other is guided by human resources principles and our core values.
- We will abide by Human Resources and Employee Relations policies and procedures.
- We will treat everyone with dignity.
- We will strive to provide a work environment for all employees free from harassment and intimidation.We will not tolerate any form of behaviour that could be reasonably interpreted as harassment or unlawful discrimination against any JPMC personnel, patients or customers.
- We will review and evaluate each employee’s performance periodically in an objective consistent and uniform manner.
- We will strive to build confidence and professionalism in every employee.
- We will work to maintain open lines of communication so that the views of each employee may be considered and their opinions given proper respect.
- We will show respect and consideration for one another, regardless of status or position.
- We will maintain personal employee information confidentially.
- We will apply the Code of Conduct equally to all employees regardless of position in the workplace.
- We will provide reasonable training opportunities to assist employees to build and maintain professional skills.
- We will encourage each employee to continually evaluate existing methods of delivering services in order to discover more effective ways of allocating the resources for patient care and support services.
- We will make promotion decisions based on employee performance skills and abilities.
- We will ensure that all employees in a position requiring licensure/certification will be properly licensed/certified by local and professional bodies.
Occupational Safety and Health
We are committed to maintaining a workplace that protects the health and safety of our patients and employees.
- We will always refer and comply with our Occupational Safety Policies and Procedures.
- We will take all reasonable precautions and follow all safety rules and regulations to maintain a safe environment for our patients, employees and visitors.
- We will notify the presence of any unsafe conditions or practices we observe in the work environment.
- We will promptly report all spills or accidents involving waste or hazardous materials and take immediate action to prevent harm.
- We will promptly report all accidents to an employee or visitor and take immediate action
- We will train all employees in health and safety policies to reduce hazards to the health and safety of employees and others.
- We will strive to provide an environment that is free from violence.
- We will safely store, secure and count all drugs and pharmaceuticals and will immediately follow reporting procedures if any medications are reported as missing.
- We will report for duty inappropriate safety‐related attire/equipment with appropriate identification,and alert and fit for duty. We will wear the appropriate safety related attire/equipment designated for specific duties.
- Managers are responsible for inspecting the work area under their control for health and safety risks, eliminating or reporting risks to management, being familiar with health and safety procedures, and training their employees in health and safety precautions.
- Patient and staff related information is confidential. Any information regarding patients and/or a service may not be conveyed to another person without appropriate authorization. All staff shall comply with legislative requirements in respect to policies to Confidentiality and Privacy.
- Confidentiality with respect to business and finance information and security of systems shall be adhered to by all staff.
Conflict of Interest
A conflict of interest occurs when personal interests or activities influence or appear to influence our ability to act in the best interests of JPMC.
- We will not offer, accept or provide substantial gifts or favours that may be interpreted as a conflict of interest e.g.accepting a payoff.
- We will not engage in any outside interests that creates an apparent or actual conflict with JPMC.
- We will report actual or potential conflicts of interest to our direct line manager.
- We will maintain unbiased relationships with vendors and contractors and avoid placing business with a vendor or related organization of the hospital, in which we or members of our immediate family have a direct or indirect interest, employment or other financial relationship,unless that relationship is disclosed and approved in accordance with appropriate hospital policy.
- Disclosure of confidential information that may result in unfair competition and contribute competitive edge to 3rd parties or used for personal gain.
Privacy, Confidentiality and Handling Information
JPMC is committed to protecting the privacy and confidentiality of the personal and health information of all members of the organizations as well as patients and their families.
All individuals subject to this policy must sign and abide by the conditions outlined in the hospital’s Confidentiality Agreement.
JPMC has comprehensive policies and procedures that relate to the privacy and confidentiality of hospital and patient information. All individuals subject to this policy are expected to comply with the terms of these policies and have the responsibility to keep informed of any changes to them or of any new policies that are issued to replace or supplement them.
JPMC House Rules and Conditions of Work
All contractors engaged by JPMC or its tenants or approved occupiers carrying out works in the Medical Centre are to note and comply strictly with the House Rules and Conditions of Work.